Recommend

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Opted for caution....

I am slowing coming to a personal realization that too many times I have opted for caution in not making my viewpoint known. There have been issues that come up in our community and I stood on the sidelines much as a spectator. But as a spectator I do more than simply watch, I continue to talk with many on both sides of the issues. I do this all the time and I appreciate those that are willing to talk to me with much candor. As always I respect their opinions. During some of these different conversation I have been told that our community has a characteristic that may not be found in other communities of the same size and economic standing. In our community, a great majority will oppose any proposition. Many are predisposed to line up on one side with and equal number facing off on the other side. Even when little is known about the issue. During my contacts, I have called persons that I know would be very good candidates and some have said that they won't serve because no matter what your credential, idea or personality is, on day one you will have 50% against you. So I suppose that my caution to express my viewpoints freely may have derived out of that same notion.. that I will be challenged by at least 50% if not more. But perhaps its time to test this hypothesis and see if I am correct.