Recommend

Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's in a Name....

Parents of newborn know that its not easy picking a name simply because it will identify their son or daughter for the rest of their life and what that name reflects can mean enough to make you happy or not.

Take my case for instance. My mother explained that when she came up with my name she was viewing a movie at the Yolanda Theatre and the actor in the movie happen to be playing the role of an attorney named Roberto. It’s seemed my father had no objections and that was it. When I was born a month later, my name was Roberto.

My father was and is a kind man but in our early years, he was not that demonstrative with his affection but was very dedicated in providing for the family. I suppose that as a term of endearment he called me Bovie; which is spanglish for Bobby. Neighborhood friends also met me as Bovie and so it stuck.

At six, I enter public education and had Mrs. Proctor as my first teacher. My perception at that age was that she was not bilingual and during the first roll call in her classroom she could not pronounce "Roberto" and every time that she tried, all my classmate would laugh because it sound nothing like "Roberto". She decided to call me Bobby which was different that Bovie. So Bobby stuck for the next 12 years.

When I started my professional career, I used Roberto as my name but again changed it to Robert for those that could not pronounce Roberto. So all the years leading up to my retirement, either one was used.

Now I am meeting many of those I grew up with in Eagle Pass and they call me Bobby. Somehow the name Bobby seems odd for an aging person with graying hair. But it must be done simply because those that know me and all my close friends find no problem is calling me Bobby. So from now on it will be Bobby or Bovie if you wish.