Recommend

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kids can do wonders...


Recently I got a call from a total stranger, someone I had never met. Someone had given them my name and phone number. Their names were Liz and Paul, both who turned out to be great people. They were planning to get married and wanted a photographer. I told them I would do it and I did.

However during the entire ceremony, I noticed that the bride’s mother would not smile and I pointed this out to Liz, knowing that her wedding album would show this. She wasn’t able to explain why her mother did not smile and left me with the impression that her mother seldom smiled or was uncomfortable in social settings.

I made it a point to catch her smiling so I sort of stalked her hoping to get a candid shot of the illusive smile but to no avail. Finally, after the church ceremony while she sat waiting for her ride to the reception and surrounded by her grandchildren I found the moment and took this shot. I sensed a little annoyance on her part for my intrusion.

Now I had a two-hour break before the reception and decided to develop her photo. I did a little work with the computer and rushed to a nearby drugstore and printed an 8x10 photo.

Two hours later, I arrived at the reception to continue my wedding photography and saw the bride’s mother sitting at a table towards the rear of the hall. I walked towards her with the 8x10 photo in hand and placed it on the table right in front of her. It took a few seconds for the illusive smile to slowing develop. She looked at me and asked, “Is this me?” “Yes,” I replied. For the next hour and a half I saw her walking from table to table showing everyone the photo with a smile that would not go away.

That goes to show that kids can do wonders for us.