Recommend

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Retirement...


I don’t know about you but this is the time of the year I start a self-evaluation about myself. I suppose this may be a result of many years of having worked with a state agency that was obsessed with high expectations.

Luckily, I’ve always felt good about myself when I looked back at the year. Being retired concerned me because I did not want to become complacent and idle and so I jumped into a number of activities hoping to still make a difference. So for a while I muddled in community advocacy and area politics but was disillusioned when our issues got lumped into one collective complaint and conveniently labeled a senior citizen’s issue. These were ceremoniously cast aside with promises of more senior recreation, free meals and periodic medical screenings.

Well this led to solitary walks through beautiful parks, contemplating a more meaningful existence.

And so here I am, still walking and thinking.